Thursday 22 September 2011

PEP Progress


I had arranged an emergency appointment with the Sexual Health Clinic two weeks ago. I was still on the PEP but had noticed skin changes, weeping sores on my chin and an ulcer on my cheek. The first thing the Doctor said after inspecting the skin was that it could be I was sero-converting. Sero conversion is the body’s first reaction to HIV – it is fighting the HIV infection which weakens the immune system and then allows other nasties to take hold. I was freaking out – I thought it might be a simple case of herpes simplex virus.

I asked whether there were any reports of sero-conversion while on PEP. She said that she didn’t have the data. To a laymen’s mind, at the time I found it a little confusing that you could be on a drug that is fighting any potential HIV and still be sero converting.

She took all manner of tests. While she was taking them, I could not help but think how dangerous sex really is. One simple act of a condom slipping off during anal sex could cause a lifetime of trauma. It just goes to show you can never be too complacent about safe sex – it makes you re-evaluate life when confronted with the possibility that you could have contracted HIV.

I attended the clinic a week later, the results were thankfully all normal. I was completely relieved!

My next appointment is in two months - as the window for HIV is considered to be three months.

No comments:

Post a Comment