Wednesday 29 June 2011

My Gaggle of Blondes - The Perils of Online Dating


There are a few close friends at work who love discussing my dating exploits. Today, I went to lunch with two of my gaggle, both blondes, both crazy chicks and both totally lovable! It became apparent that one of my gaggle had missed out on my exploits about Grindr. I was shocked and appalled that I failed to reveal this crucial important aspect of my single life.

She herself was recently single and was moaning about the lack of talent in the straight talent pool. We then discussed Grindr, the ‘gay meat market’ as I affectionately call it. I told her about the concept of No Strings Attached (‘NSA’) and having a little ‘fun.’ She was instantly intrigued! I then revealed that there are straight sites out there and told her about the free site www.oasisactive.com.au. She instantly logged onto the website and created her profile.

The first question was her profile name, I suggested ‘sluttyblonde’ or a variant thereof. She was uncomfortable with this so we settled on ‘bubblyblonde.’ That afternoon the messages were coming in thick and fast, in a space of two hours a total of 30 guys had texted her and were wanting to know more about her (including what type of ‘fun’ she likes). She had accepted 15 chats in the space of an hour and was getting overwhelmed with both the directness of the guys messaging her and the amount of messages.

I was intrigued and asked to see her profile. The picture was very nice, she described herself to a tee and the picture was lovely!
BUT (if I could capitalise that BUT anymore I would…) she had unbeknownst made a rookie dating mistake. She had used a phrase under “What are you looking for” that resulted in the serious amount of attention given to her. Her response to this question was “nothing serious.”

Now I assume she meant that she wanted to get to know a few guys without the pressure of sex and the pressure of a long term relationship. Needless to say all the guys instantly assumed that she was after a bit of ‘fun.’ I was instantly amused and had the largest smirk on my face since I had my first orgasm. I explained the concept of “nothing serious” and suggested to her that it essentially means you want a bit of No Strings Fun (e.g. if you take the first letter of every word and add an A you get NSA- “No strings attached”). She was shocked that two words could suggest so much.

The final straw came when a guy messaged her and said “What is a nice girl like you doing on a place like this?” Now my blonde gal  is lovely sweet and completely innocent, so she was totally unprepared for the underworld of dating and the concept of ‘NSA’ and fun. The directness of some of the guys completely freaked her out!

It just goes to show that in the world of online dating you need to choose your words carefully, know what you want and give no indication you want something else. If you are unprepared for the level of directness and openness that anonymity gives to online dating then online dating may not be for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment